dealing with dictionary attacks

davor davor at oscecro.org
Mon Mar 5 12:24:48 CET 2007

Why  don't you give a try  to

 http://www.ossec.net/

Ossec  is doing   block with IPTABLES

Regards

davor

>>> Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> 3/5/2007 11:46 AM >>>
--[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:50:48 +0530
> Dhawal Doshy <dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

>>> http://policyd.sourceforge.net <http://policyd.sourceforge.net/>
>> You do not need a policy server for this.. simply use
>> smtpd_hard_error_limit.. however from the OP's mail it looks like he is
>> a sendmail user..
>>
>> Now for the OP:
>> Did you even google for "your_mta dictionary attack" before asking the
>> list? for sendmail here are the first and second links from google.
>> http://www.technoids.org/dossed.html#3.2
>> http://notbrainsurgery.livejournal.com/23066.html
> Dhawal,
>
> I agree that smtp_hard_error_limit could be used, but the OP is asking
about block the remote MTA for a period of time.
> Yes, it does like the OP is using Sendmail so Policyd would not work
anyway ;)

oops, as usual i love to be trigger happy..

SEC/Swatch can be used for something like this, example:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_spam:rbls:all:yo
ur_own_onemore

You can eliminate the database and rbldnsd and start appending "IP:Deny
#Timestamp" to /etc/mail/access (in the correct format for sendmail) and
write another a cron script to cleanup older entries based on the timestamp.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.