dealing with dictionary attacks

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Mon Mar 5 10:52:28 CET 2007

We're beginning to really try to harden our external mail server.
MailScanner is generally doing great.

As I watch my maillog data flow up my screen, I'm seeing tons of "...
User unknown" messages and many of them are coming from a handful of IP
addresses.Obviously, I would like the server's bandwidth and cpu cycles
to be used for more productive things than dealing with what is (likely)
a zombie machine running through a list of possible accounts at our domain.

Is there a trustworthy milter that will say, for example, "15 bad email
addresses to our server within an hour and bang...the sender is
blacklisted for say 36 hours"?

Thanks