Strange Missing Mail

Jeff Mills Jeff.Mills at versacold.com.au
Fri Mar 2 00:11:49 CET 2007

This problem is still happening.
Had a couple more today.

> I doubt it as Postfix won't have split the queue file so the
> message will have either gone missing or been delivered. What
> is there in the logs? Can you post a log excerpt for the
> relevent message? (Postfix also logs number of recipients :) )

Mar  2 09:21:31 proxy2 postfix/qmgr[6368]: CABEE2B06D9:
from=<someuser at somedomain.com>, size=289109, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Mar  2 09:21:31 proxy2 postfix/qmgr[6368]: CABEE2B06D9:
to=<someuser at somedomain.com.au>, relay=none, delay=2.9,
delays=2.9/0.01/0/0, dsn=4.3.2, status=def

So postfix sees only one recipient.
The headers still show three though:

From: "Some, User" <someuser at somedomain.com>
To: "Some, User2 \(Aus.\)" <some.user2 at somedomain.com.au>,
     <some.user3 at somedomain.com.au>,
     "Some, User4" <some.user4 at somedomain.com.au>

The only user to get the message was the user without a real name
attached.
So I guess the problem is obviously not MailScanner, because postfix is
only seeing one recipient.
I have found out today that this is happening from more than one source
company, so I doubt it's a problem with the source server, although they
are both probably exchange.