Problems with install of ExtUtil::MakeMaker which comes with MailScanner

Sean Coleman coleman at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Jun 29 19:50:13 IST 2007

I have been attempting to install MailScanner 4.59 on a RedHat AS 4
system running perl 5.8.5. I realize I can ignore all the errors
produced by the compilation of MakeMaker and realize I don't need it
since I have MakeMaker in my current perl but, I did figure out what
caused the error. Setting PERL5LIB to perl -V | grep site_perl | tr -d ' ' | tr
'\n' ':' causes the error. When I comment out the line, the build
works fine. What was the intent to limit the perl library path using
the PERL5LIB variable? When I ran the commands used to set PERL5LIB, I
discovered that the variable included non path info such as:

config_args='-des ....'
/usr/lib

I figured out that the definition of PERL5LIB needs one more grep
added, grep -v config_args.

If you define PERL5LIB as follows, all will compile

PERL5LIB=`perl -V | grep site_perl | grep -v config_args | tr -d ' ' | tr '\n'
':'

Thanks

Sean Coleman