MailScanner, sa-learn and bayes_path troubles

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 08:55:48 IST 2007

On 29/06/07, Matthias Kellermann <mkellermann at net-com.de> wrote:
> Hello MailScanner list,
>
> I've some trouble using sa-learn to train my SpamAssassin installation
> with MailScanner.
>
> If I use sa-learn to train the filter with ham and spam messages, it
> doesn't seem to have any effect on the scoring done by MailScanner. I
> also don't see where sa-learn puts its Bayes data. I thought the path
> should be the same as bayes_path in
> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf but there are no files
> present. It doesn't change anything if I run sa-learn with root or
> postfix user (MailScanner runs as postfix user).
>
> So, what could be the problem? Where can I tell sa-learn which path to
> save it's ham/spam information? As which user I have to run sa-learn? Do
> I have to add another special bayes path somewhere in the MailScanner
> config files?
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

Check that you have a symbolic link
/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf that points to
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf (if you have the bayes_path
setting in that one), or set it in your
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (either, not both;-).

Also, check that the permissions for your bayes db (as specified in
that SA cf) is "enough" for all users you plan to use (perhaps rw-rw-
for postfix.apache, if you use MailWatch ... etc).

The plan with such a setup is that you will use the same config
irrespective of what user you might use to do the training. A bit of
care (perhaps setting the directory rws) can go a long way toward
avoiding problems (like root stomping on your permissions;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn