Postfix Address Verification

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Thu Jun 28 09:46:55 IST 2007

On Wed, June 27, 2007 23:46, Seamus Allan wrote:
> It seems after implementing this that I am having a lot of spam stopped
> at MTA level - this is very good.<br>
> However, the next morning I came in to discover that some of the
> domains we host were not getting any email.<br>
> I used telnet to pretend to have a fake session with the smtp server,
> and interestingly, when trying to do a rcpt <a
> class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
> href="mailto:to:user at brokendomain.com">to:user at brokendomain.com</a>, I
> get the following error message.<br>
> 450 <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
> href="mailto:user at brokendomain.com">&lt;user at brokendomain.com&gt;</a>:
> Recipient address rejected: Domain
> not found<br>
> Why is this happening? How come that Postfix is able to look into the
> transport map and check the next server in line to see whether the user
> is valid for most of the domains, but not for some. Is there a
> misconfiguration somewhere? Is the verify map full or something?<br>

Firstly, please could you not use HTML mail. It does become something of a
mess (As you can see above) when working in plain text.

Anyway, check your maillog as I would expect the domain not found error to
come from a Postfix client access restriction (Reject unknown sender
domain for example) and nothing to do with your recipient maps. The logs
will tell you more.

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ