Postfix Address Verification

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Wed Jun 27 08:03:39 IST 2007

On 27 Jun 2007, at 03:12, Seamus Allan wrote:

> Gareth wrote:
>> See
>> http://www.mailscanner.info/wiki/doku.php?
>> id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent
>> _users
>> Thats what I do and it works very well.
>>
>> Just make sure Exchange is configured to reject mail to unknown
>> recipients. If you cant do that then there are other ways such as
>> using
>> LDAP to regularly pull out a list of valid addresses from exchange,
>>
>> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:24, Jody Cleveland wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've got a RedHat 5 server with Postfix and MailScanner. This
>>> server checks
>>> all incoming mail and then forwards it on to an Exchange server.
>>> I'm looking
>>> for a way to verify recipients without touching active directory.
>>> Will
>>> either of these work at all?
>>>
>>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unauth_destination
>>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_unverified_recipient
>>>
>>> - jody
>>>

> I am curious about this; it seems to make very good sense to do
> this (and will in fact cut down the number of bounces created by my
> mail gateway MailScanner machine), but I wonder how much more work
> has to be done by Postfix to accomplish this.

It's a lot less than trying to keep running the mail queue that's
full of undeliverable bounce notifications. Reject unknown recipients
at SMTP stage will mean that you don't have to use your bandwidth to
download the full message, process it through MailScanner &
SpamAssassin, deliver or attempt to deliver somewhere else, create
the bounce notification and attempt to deliver this bounce using your
bandwidth. If it's not deliverable then keep retrying for x number of
days and re-examining the message in the queue to work out when it
must keep trying.

In comparison any form of db look up from hashed file to SQL or LDAP
is really cheap. Couple that with one or two other tricks such at
proxying for SQL for example (To retain connections) and you really
have very little overhead at all. In fact there are other checks that
are more work, such as RBL look ups that are much more work.

Drew
--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ