what does /s mean at the end of spamassassin rules

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Fri Jun 22 19:38:10 IST 2007

Gareth wrote:
> Probably a simple questioon but I cannot find any mention of it on the
> spamassassin rules writing wiki.
>
> Some rules end with /i and some others /is. I know the 'i' refers to a case
> insensitive match but what does the 's' refer to?

The /s regex modifier allows the . wildcard to match newlines.

/s would only make sense for rawbody rules, because there are no newlines in
normal body rules.

/s isn't mentioned in the wiki because its use is rather uncommon and the wiki
is intended to cover "all the basics, plus a little more", but is far from all
inclusive.

If you encounter other advanced regex syntax, the wiki Writing Rules article
does have links to several sites with more detailed information about Perl
Regular expressions.

Personally I use this quick reference sheet, which is linked from the google
directory mentioned in the wiki:

http://www.erudil.com/preqr.pdf