MCP works, doesn't deliver

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Thu Jun 21 17:35:24 IST 2007

I have never used the MCP features of MailScanner before, after all the
traffic thought I would try it. My problem is a bit odd in that if I do a
test (with the sample rules) it hits fine, and if I sent it locally it
delivers the mail tagged correctly. However, if I send it from remote it
does exactly the same thing, logs the same way, says it delivered and then
the message is just gone. Not in any queue, not in the inbox, just gone.

MCP Setup as follows:

MCP Checks = yes

MCP Required SpamAssassin Score = 5
MCP High SpamAssassin Score = 14
MCP Error Score = 1

MCP Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-MCPCheck:
Non MCP Actions = deliver
MCP Actions = deliver
High Scoring MCP Actions = deliver
Bounce MCP As Attachment = no

MCP Modify Subject = yes
MCP Subject Text = [MCP Content Bad?]
High Scoring MCP Modify Subject = yes
High Scoring MCP Subject Text = [MCP Content BAD YES]

Is Definitely MCP = no
Is Definitely Not MCP = no
Definite MCP Is High Scoring = no
Always Include MCP Report = yes
Detailed MCP Report = yes
Include Scores In MCP Report = yes
Log MCP = yes

MCP Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20
MCP Max SpamAssassin Size = 1000000
MCP SpamAssassin Timeout = 60

MCP SpamAssassin Prefs File = %mcp-dir%/mcp.spam.assassin.prefs.conf
MCP SpamAssassin User State Dir =
MCP SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = %mcp-dir%
MCP SpamAssassin Install Prefix = %mcp-dir%
Recipient MCP Report = %report-dir%/recipient.mcp.report.txt
Sender MCP Report = %report-dir%/sender.mcp.report.txt

The etc/mcp/v320.pre is the default as is the prefs file

The log says (on a message that never arrives)

 New Batch: Scanning 1 messages, 17233 bytes
 MCP Checks: Starting
 Message 1I1PHy-0008VY-I7 from 66.249.241.90 (rcooper at dwford.com) to
cooper-home.com is MCP, MCP-Checker (score=5, required 5, SAMPLE_RULE2 5.00)
 MCP Checks: Found 1 MCP messages
 MCP Actions: message 1I1PHy-0008VY-I7 actions are deliver
 Spam Checks: Starting
 Virus and Content Scanning: Starting
 <----------- CLAMD SCAN BEGIN-------->
 CLAMD VER : ClamAV 0.91rc1/3486/Thu Jun 21 01:56:11 2007
 CLAMD VERNO : 0911
 CLAMD ELAPSED TIME : 0.025145
 HTML Img tag found in message 1I1PHy-0008VY-I7 from rcooper at dwford.com
 Uninfected: Delivered 1 messages