ANNOUNCE: BarricadeMX is released

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 14 19:43:30 IST 2007

Rob Poe spake the following on 6/14/2007 9:57 AM:
> So, I understand that Fort and Snert have partnered up to stop spam at the
> MTA ...... and obviously it will be a proprietary method, but inquiring
> minds still want to know .. Anyone have any kind of idea on the techniques?
>

> I have 2 clients.  One is a trucking firm.  They get a lot of trade
> industry magazines (which SpamAssassin hates) and a lot of people in the
> trucking industry who think it fine that they have a 400x400 inline .gif
> with their signature and other misc. stuff, in an email with a "Hey give me
> a call if you want me to service your loads" ... yeah SA hates that too..
Spamassassin is not perfect. No machine will be as intelligent as a
person..the "brains" just don't work the same.

> The other is a law firm.  They want Artificial Intelligence for their spam
> filter.  Everything that ISN'T SPAM gets delivered and everything that IS
> SPAM doesn't  -- no errors.
If they want NO false positives or negatives, they will need a warm body
sitting at a desk reviewing what gets caught and correcting what doesn't get
caught.
If they can find a lawyer who;
1) never makes a mistake
2) admits it when he could be wrong
maybe they will find a machine that good.
Many law firms only screen for viruses, and let all spam in just so they don't
miss things.

> Of course, if you go too strict on filtering you can lose emails, and if
> you go too lose you end up with horse sex in your inbox ... how does this
> product compare to current methods?
>
> Greylisting has helped tremendously, but there are still some seriously
> BRAIN DEAD admins running some seriously BRAIN DEAD email apps that don't
> ever retry.. So for the two above clients, it didn't work so well.
>
> (oh, and why do people make 10 outbound mail gateways, so a message that
> retries goes between the 10 different hosts, getting a greylist deny every
> time, but te delivery retry is > 1 minute) ???

The reason people have multiple outbound gateways is for;
1) load
2) redundancy

What I would like to see is an addin for mailscanner that watches outgoing
mail and whitelists the "to" addresses for a configurable period of time.
Usually mail sent out is expected to be replied to.
But IANAP.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and