sa-update and sa-compile

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Jun 13 18:56:20 IST 2007

Holger Nöfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how do you use sa-update and sa-compile?
>
> If I use sa-update it puts the rules to
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000. If I use
> sa-compile it compiles the rules to
> /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled.
>
> Does sa-compile use the rules in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000
> or in /usr/local/share/spamassassin?
>
> If I test spamassassin with
> spamassassin -D --lint -p /etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf
> it seems that spamassassin uses the files under
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000 and /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled.
> Is that right?
> If yes, do you delete /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000 to only use
> the /var/lib/spamassassin/compiled files?
> Without /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000 files spamassassin is much
> faster.
>
> Best regards,
> Holger

It tries to use all the rules it can find. sa-compile only works on body
rules, and it doesn't work for all of those rules. I've seen reports
stating 60% of the body rules can be compiled. Furthermore, there isn't
a guarantee that the compiled version of the rules are identical to the
original version of the rules. Therefore, SA checks with the original
rules for any that hit from the compiled list. So no, don't delete
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002000 as no rules there will be used. Deleting
that directory probably means you're only using local rules in
/etc/mail/spamassassin.