DomainKeys and DKIM signing support

Kevin Hansard Kevin.Hansard at ipl.com
Thu Jun 7 16:26:21 IST 2007

I would like to sign my outgoing emails with a DomainKeys or DKIM
signature. I have looked at using dkim-filter with sendmail to perform
this however the solution doesn't really work with MailScanner because
milters can only operate on incoming SMTP messages, so if MailScanner
makes any changes to the message the signature will be invalidated. In
our system we add a disclaimer using MailScanner to messages so the body
signature would always be invalid.

It seems sensible for MailScanner to perform this function immediately
before submitting the message for delivery. I don't think it would be
that hard to implement given the Mail::DKIM module would do most of the
work. However I am reluctant to start hacking the MailScanner code.

Is DKIM support on the MailScanner roadmap?
Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Alternative solutions would including placing the messages to be signed
in a different queue and have my own app sign them and put them back
into the main outgoing queue or using another sendmail gateway running
dkim-filter to process the messages coming out of MailScanner.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

--
Kevin Hansard