MailScanner monitoring

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Jun 6 16:41:48 IST 2007

Personally, I use both.

Nagios is great for detecting downtime, etc. However, it doesn't do all the
detailed graphing that mailscanner-mrtg does.

mailscanner-mrtg does a lot of nice graphs like average score, queue depth, etc.
I tend to use it for diagnosing long-term performance problems.

don't know of anything for nagios that's so pervasive. You could hack up a
nagios plugin to use the mailscanner-mrtg scripts pretty easily, and then add
graphing to nagios, but at that point you're still using mailscanner-mrtg's
scripts to parse your logs.

Gareth wrote:
> I use Nagios for all our Linux servers and it works very well.
> You dont really need any mailscanner specific plugin for it since it can
> look for a running process with a specific name.
>
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 16:26, Julian Field wrote:
> Is MailScanner-mrtg still being maintained at all? The files on
> Sourceforge seem very old.
> What's reckoned as the best these days? Has anyone written any plugins
> for Munin for it, for example?
>
> Jules

believed to be clean.