mailscanner.cf

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 16:42:58 IST 2007

Hi Julian,

Julian Field wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Alex Broens wrote on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:21:27 +0200:
>>

>>> and that will be replaced with what?
>>>
>>> zzzMailScanner.cf?
>>>

>> You misunderstood Jules', ahm, "humorous" remark, there won't be any
>> name change. Some people run their own SA settings, for instance in
>> local.cf. And the automatic addition of this symlink is a nuisance as
>> it adds completely unwanted or doubled settings to Spamassassin in
>> this case. A setup option to avoid its creation would be enjoyable.
>>
> I'm going to leave it as is. It is suitable for most beginners, and the
> advanced ones among you do all sorts of weird things anyway, so it
> doesn't make any difference to you what I do.
>
> I'm certainly not going to put in some install.sh-time question as to
> whether the link should be put in or not. 99% of users won't understand
> the question, and the other 1% can delete the symlink if they want to.

I agree entirely with this approach.  I was too busy last week to chip
in to the original discussion.

The symlink works well for making sure things work as expcected for
people who don't want to bother with the details.  People who
understand, or do things differently tend to know what to do anyway.  If
someone is starting to tweak the setting to the point where the order of
processing of .cf files is important than they need to understand the
relationship and can manually move the link file if needed.

--
Anthony Peacock
"A CAT scan should take less time than a PET scan.  For a CAT scan,