mailscanner.cf

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Jul 27 19:12:34 IST 2007

Alex Broens wrote:

> afaik, if you create a meta in local.cf with rules in MailScanner.cf
> it won't hit - SA rule files get parsed in alphabetic order so last
> rule should be in last file, alphabetically.

I've never quite understood the metas, but to be honest I've never
looked into them so that's not surprising.

That said, what I was getting at, is put any local customizations in
local.cf which should get parsed before MailScanner.cf (unless case is
an issue in which instance a capital M may coollate before lowercase l.
I can't remember w/o looking at an ASCII table).  If M comes before l,
then create a Custom.cf which will parse before MailScanner.cf.  I.e.,
it should be pretty easy for MailScanner.cf to come last, and as long as
you don't put anything in it that clobbers whatever is in Custom.cf or
local.cf (whichever is needful) than you're golden.

I know there's some adjustments in MailScanner.cf but the advantage of
using a local/Custom ruleset and not putting additional one's in
MailScanner is that in an upgrade you don't have to update the file.  I
just took a look at my MailScanner.cf and most of it is commented out,
except for a few MS specific things.  That makes sense to me - put MS
related stuff there, and SA customizations elsewhere and don't duplicate
rulesets in multiple places - then there's no issue.

But that's what works for me...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500