BarricadeMX experiences

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:20:16 IST 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Ugo Bellavance wrote on Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:32:14 -0400:
>

>> I've seen a few sites that were running milter-link, milter-ahead,
>> greylisting, zen.spamhaus.org at MTA level, and still saw a lot of
>> benefit on the resource usage.
>>

> I surely would expect that, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use it. As
> BarricadeMX seems to be a combination of the snertsoft milters and some
> other techniques in one piece of software there *should* be better
> ressource usage *and* better protection. My point was that the original
> poster compared that with an almost unprotected system and was very
> impressed. He *should* be very impressed, if not the system wouldn't be
> worth much. My point is not against BarricadeMX at all, I'm confident it
> works very good and is worth the money.
> A point I didn't mention is that I think that you still need MailScanner
> and a quarantine. My point-of-view is that users should be bothered with
> as few spam as possible. You can't achieve that with blocking all high
> scoring spam (although I have to admit that most detected spam is high
> scoring). There's always a "middle range" where the false positive rate is
> too high to just reject them - and I really would not want to just tag
> them and send on. Not to mention the other things that MailScanner can do.
>
> Kai

For the record, I agree.  I wasn't advocating not continuing to use
MailScanner.  I would never do that.  I was merely pointing out the
effectiveness and performance of BarricadeMX.  I was also not commenting
one way or the other on the benefits of using other techniques in front
of MailScanner.  Certainly there are effective ways of doing that.

And, my systems were not all that unprotected!  I did use RBLs at the
MTA and milter-limit and milter-null plus MailScanner/SA.  It was
detecting about 90% of the total inbound messages as spam.  I did have a
big problem with overloaded systems however.  When that happens there's
only two possible ways of dealing with it -- more hardware or more
software (or both).  I chose software -- BarricadeMX.  I think it was a
good choice for me.

And lastly, I wasn't spamming the list at all.  The product was first
announced on this list by the list's owner.  That's how I found out
about it.  Giving a report on implementation of a product that was
announced here is certainly within the purview of this group.  More
information about effective anti-spam techniques in combination with MS
is good, right?

Richard Lynch
WVNET