BarricadeMX experiences

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Thu Jul 26 21:52:45 IST 2007

UxBoD wrote:
> Any reported FPs Steve ?

Yes - of course.  We recommend a set of tests and configuration that
we've done the most testing with and each user can add or remove tests
as they see fit.  Most existing sites have a handful of whitelist
entries and no site is exactly the same.  Some SMTP servers are
terminally broken as are some sites configuration (DNS etc.) - it
depends on your definition of a false-positive in some cases too.
Anyway as everything is done at the SMTP level then these are quickly
caught as the sender knows that delivery was unsuccessful via a DSN
generated by their mail system.

We've got a number of safeguards around some tests to help reduce or
eliminite false positives.  Our greylisting functions for example are
completely different to all the other existing implementations and has
far less problems than with traditional greylisting - ours copes nicely
with clustered or NFS mounted spools where the sending system is
potentially different on each retry (for example you don't need to
exempt Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail as they will pass greylisting and become
auto-whitelisted).

Kind regards,
Steve.