OT: performance smf-sav vs milter-ahead

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Jul 26 15:10:13 IST 2007

Bryan Guest wrote:
> Hello
>
> With my apologies for the off topic nature of this question, has anyone
> compared performance between SMF-SAV and Milter-Ahead?
>
> If so, is there an appreciable difference when using one or the other in
> conjuction with MailScanner?
>
> Many thanks to Julian Field and everyone on this list for MailScanner
> and the support it receives.  I sincerely appreciate any feedback provided.
>
> Bryan Guest
> Bruce Telecom

smf-sav seems okay, but watch out for:

// if (verify && strcmp(verify, "OK") == 0) return SMFIS_ACCEPT;

..which says "If the client ssl client certificate verifies with an
authority, then skip the milters". That's a bad assumption. I just
commented out the line in the code and recompiled(Yes, I reported it). I
have not looked at how milter-ahead handles this, or how well it works,
though it's codebase is certainly more mature and well tested.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net