disable virus scanning for one user

Rob Shepherd rob at techniumcast.com
Thu Jul 26 15:00:54 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:
> What bit don't you understand about the notes? I would like to make them
> easy to understand.
>
> Jules

Thanks Jules, for your motivation.... :)

Here's the text, taken from stable
http://www.mailscanner.info/files/4/tar/MailScanner-install-4.61.7-2.tar.gz

> # Virus Scanning and Vulnerability Testing
> # ----------------------------------------
> #
>
> # Do you want to scan email for viruses?
> # A few people don't have a virus scanner licence and so want to disable
> # all the virus scanning.
> # If you use a ruleset for this setting, then the mail will be scanned if
> # *any* of the rules match (except the default). That way unscanned mail
> # never reaches a user who is having their mail virus-scanned.
> #
> # If you want to be able to switch scanning on/off for different users or
> # different domains, set this to the filename of a ruleset.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Virus Scanning = yes

looking at....

"mail will be scanned if *any* of the rules match (except the default)"

I read this as....

given file syntax....

direction pattern result

result will always be "yes" if direction and pattern positively match.

thus returning...

Virus Scanning = "yes" to MailScanner.conf

This has proved not to be the case as I have sucessfully produced a file
with explicit Virus Scanning = "no" substitutions from rules with the
default => yes.

I didn't take the time to work out what the subsequent statement means
regarding unscanned mail etc...

Cheers

Rob

--
Rob Shepherd BEng PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | CAST Ltd
Technium CAST | LL57 4HJ | http://www.techniumcast.com