BarricadeMX experiences

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Tue Jul 24 22:49:40 IST 2007

I've been watching this tread quietly but with much interest all day and
would like to make a quick couple of points.

I'm not knocking any solution that works, people like, and know how to use.
We all know that it take a variety of tools to effectively stop the spammers
and generally the more tools you use, the less spam you get.

BarricadeMX is another tool. It's a very small (4MB on load), fast,
light-weight, multi-threaded C program (not Perl) that can easily handle
over 1,000 simultaneous sending MTA connections - even on relatively small
servers. It works in front of any MTA and on several Operating Systems with
more to come.

BarricadeMX does not duplicate SpamAssassin tests but depends primarily on
the behavior of the sending  server.

It is dead easy to install (rpms on Linux), update (from FSL yum
repositories on Linux) and configure with the web interface. Most sites can
be up and running quickly, blocking +90% of spam before it's even accepted.
In a nutshell, you don't have to be a guru to run it effectively

But while it's also good at stopping the little hard to catch spam that
SpamAssassin still misses, it's probably not for every MailScanner site.
It's really designed for high volume sites that process a LOT of mail or
sites that are overloaded and don't want to buy additional servers.

Thanks for listening and feel free to direct queries or flames direct to me
:)

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Swaney