thnks for ur quick reply

simon mailadmin at baladia.gov.kw
Tue Jul 24 18:45:02 IST 2007

Thanks for ur quick reply.

btw let me explain..

right now i have only sendmail running and MailScanner is stopped so its
workin perfect

b4 when i had MailScanner running the sendmail service was off but had
problems like mail not goin to user mailboxes and dos attack message in my
maillog

anywya i gonna upgrade but jus wanted to know where the actuall problem was

with Mailscanner or clamav or spammassassin .. since without mail scanner
being running everthing workin fine

thnks and apprecite

simon

> simon wrote:
>>
>> Thanks a lot guy for ur quick replies..
>>

>> btw I have already started to upgarde my system fully to CENTOS 5 with
>> the
>> latest mailscanner , clamav + spamassassin... and ofcouse sendmail too
>>
>> guess this type of problems will be eliminated
>>
>> but i was jus wondering why this problem dissapeared when i stopped
>> mailScanner .
>>
>> that is i jus did a chkconfig MailScanner off and restarted the server
>> and
>> so far everythin is fine
>
> It sounds like you've got the "sendmail" service still enabled.
>
> Normally, the MailScanner script launches the two sendmail processes you
> need.
> One acts as a queue-only inbound MTA, and the other as a queue-runner
> outbound.
>
> If a "normal" sendmail (ie: one that both sends and receives) is running,
> it
> will end up screwing with MailScanner, which expects to be the only one
> placing
> files into /var/spool/mqueue.

Network Administrator