OT - Recipient verification

UxBoD uxbod at splatnix.net
Tue Jul 24 15:48:53 IST 2007

triggers :)
----- Original Message -----
From: "DAve" <dave.list at pixelhammer.com>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:30:58 PM (GMT) Europe/London
Subject: Re: OT - Recipient verification

Ken A wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> UxBoD wrote:
>>> We use Lotus Notes here so on the front-end MTA's I just grab the
>>> user email addresses from LN-LDAP, write them to a flat file and
>>> Postfix takes care of everything else. Simple solution - great results.
>>>
>>> I presume you are using SendMail DAve ?
>>
>> Yep, though I may change that to Postfix.
>
> You can do the same in a sendmail access list.
>
> # Entry for each valid user
> To:user1 at domain.tld   RELAY
> To:user2 at domain.tld   RELAY
> #
> # Default Entry to Reject all others
> #
> To:domain.tld    ERROR:5.1.1:550 User unknown
>
> Ken

Well slap me sideways and call me goofy! I never even considered that.
pushing a new recipient list when a SQL change occurs would be simple
with perl/ruby + rsync + ssh.

I got too focused on milters. Time to rethink everything.

DAve

>> DAve

>>> NOC-2. We can't move our toasters yet because the Maildirs are NFS
>>> mounted.
>>>
>>> If NOC-1 goes down I still want the MailScanner gateway in NOC-2 to
>>> accept mail. My problem is that milter-ahead needs to verify
>>> recipient addresses with the toaster in NOC-1. Every milter/MTA
>>> solution I have found verifies the recipient address by connecting to
>>> the destination MTA, our toaster, which may be unreachable.
>>>
>>> What I need is to verify the recipient address with a local store on
>>> the MailScanner gateway. I would like to use a SQL db as I can easily
>>> slave it off the toasters SQL store. Anyone have any ideas how to go
>>> about this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> DAve

Veterans?