Request for comments 3

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Jul 24 15:40:54 IST 2007

Julian Field wrote:

> Well, initial testing is showing it working very well. The aim is that
> you can have anything in the message (expressed as a SpamAssassin rule)
> trigger any action on the message, spam or not. So you can archive any
> message containing particular bits of text anywhere, or you can _not_
> deliver any message with a certain bit of text in it.
>
> Say you have all mail copied to an archive, but you want certain
> sensitive mail of your own (or your boss's) not archived, then you can
> write an SA rule for some subject keyphrase or piece of text in the body
> of the message. You can then not archive any mail matching that SA rule.
>
> So the boss could have all his email CC'd to his secretary, except for
> personal mail containing "private" on the Subject line, or mail coming
> from his family.

Very handy! What about (or is there already?) a MailScanner 'action'
that says 'feed the message to a program', like is possible in
sendmail's alias file, so that some processing could be done on the
message? This would open up more possibilities, like processing mail for
delivery to other devices (text message, etc), or adding some useful
context to the message for archival and searching use. I know this sort
of thing also opens up some possible security issues. ;-)

Ken

--
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net