OT - Recipient verification

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Jul 24 14:27:24 IST 2007

Hi DAve,

DAve wrote:
> If NOC-1 goes down I still want the MailScanner gateway in NOC-2 to
> accept mail. My problem is that milter-ahead needs to verify recipient
> addresses with the toaster in NOC-1. Every milter/MTA solution I have
> found verifies the recipient address by connecting to the destination
> MTA, our toaster, which may be unreachable.
>
> What I need is to verify the recipient address with a local store on the
> MailScanner gateway. I would like to use a SQL db as I can easily slave
> it off the toasters SQL store. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this?

I don't know of any call-ahead solutions that offer the ability to look
up the users in a SQL DB.

Why don't you simply enable the +backup-mx option in milter-ahead.  When
the call-ahead destination service is down - this will use the cache to
answer (positive or negative) where possible but will accept messages
for any users it doesn't already know about.

Kind regards,
Steve.