Fake MX records

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 09:13:02 IST 2007

On 24/07/07, Mogens Melander <mogens at fumlersoft.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, July 23, 2007 20:12, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Martin.Hepworth wrote:
> >
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/OtherTricks (Fake MX Record)
> >>
> >> on the SA-users list.
> >>
> >> Looks very useful, anyone here using this technique?
> >
> > I use it partially. MX 10 is me. MX 100 is for backups. MX 1000 is me
> > again as spammers favored the highest MX (lowest priority) to bypass
> > (RBL) filters. Now they seem to take them at random and ignore the
> > priorities.
> >

> I was thinking about a "thingy" that would query senders MX if
> sender was valid (accept mail to sender) but i don't like to
> waste too much bandwidth on a allready crowded internet, so i'm
> still thinking. This "Fake MX" would of cause break this idea,
> unless i'd make it retry until all MX's been "tasted", adding
> more trafic to the pool. But this could be done at MTA level,
> and thus, not be too expencive.
>
> As i'm not a perl/C hacker, i'll limit my tests to PHP, but
> if/when implemented, i'd be happy to share my results.

Um.... Do you mean something like Sender Address Verification? As done
in milter-sender, smf-sav, piostfix "natively"
(http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html) .... <insert
favourite MTA function for this:-)>

I don't think you need waste time writing another. Or would yours do
something extreme and different?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn