Request for comments 3

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Sun Jul 22 22:26:49 IST 2007

Alex Broens wrote:
> On 7/22/2007 10:08 PM, Julian Field wrote:
>>
>> In which case, please help me out and tell me what sort of database
>> structure you would like to see. I don't use any of these control
>> panel products, and so I have little idea how one might structure a
>> configuration database. That's mostly why it hasn't already happened.
>
> Jules,
>
> I'd like to suggest you take the variables you have in
> MailScanner.conf, convert them to database tables and their parameters
> to table fields.
>
> Getting a startup design from a community will be like getting the
> globe to sign the Kyoto Protocol.
>
> Having a basic design, ppl will come up with the most creative ideas
> once they start working with the basics you've provided.
>
> Alex

Well I, for one, would be against such a change.  I prefer text
configuration files.  They're simple to understand and simple to
change.  I personally don't see the need for a SQL database in this
regard.  Use relational databases when you need access to complex
indexed data.  This is a classic SWAP  (a solution without a problem).
It you want to put a user friendly GUI on top of it that's fine as long
as the underlying structure is simple text.

Richard