Request for comments

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jul 22 08:18:03 IST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> I am wondering if it would help if I added "Subject" to the list of
> things you could use in rulesets.
>
> Would it be useful?

It would have been 5-6 years ago with things like that VBS script
rampaging the internet. (Love had nothing to do with it ;-)

Having the option might still be usefull. But having a negative version
might even be more usefull. Some organisations have the need for a keyword
in outbound email message to mark it as allowed outbound traffic.
Something like a 'declassified' stamp.

> You would only be able to match against exact strings or regular
> expressions, and I'm not quite sure how I would parse it in the ruleset
> files. Exact strings would be in double-quotes, with '"' characters in
> the string doubled up as a means of escaping them. How I would find the
> end of a regular expression is another matter. I guess it would be
> surrounded with '/' characters, and I would look for the first '/' that
> wasn't preceded by a '\'.

If you are working with the \ as escap character I would recommend to use
it in literal strings as well. so one would have a \" in the string itself
and not a "".

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)