Mailscanner Gateway does not reject unknown users (more of a sendmail question, I think) (Ken A)

Jeff Ramsey jefframsey at tubafor.com
Fri Jul 20 21:40:38 IST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:08 AM, mailscanner-
request at lists.mailscanner.info wrote:

> Jeff Ramsey wrote:
>> I have read a few places on the net that claim this has been well
>> covered, but I cannot seem to find a configuration that works.
>>
>> It either forwards all nonspam email on to my internal sendmail
>> server,
>> or it rejects the unknown user messages but then does not relay any
>> email onto the internal email server.
>>
>> If I list my domains in local-host-names, it does not relay any more
>> email for those domains, period. If I don't list the domains
>> there, it
>> does not check incoming mail for a valid email address.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> mailertable
>
> domain.tld    esmtp:[mailhub.otherdomain.tld]
>
> Ken

I checked, and my mailertable is already populated just like you
suggest. Here is a copy of my mailertable:

tubafor.com             esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
imap.tubafor.com        esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
smtpgw.tubafor.com      esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
tmiforestproducts.com   esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
tmiforestproducts.net   esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
tmiforestproducts.org   esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
tmiforestproducts.info  esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]
tmiforestproducts.biz   esmtp:[imap.tubafor.com]

--- END /etc/mail/mailertable ---

So I must have something else not set correctly. Just to clarify,
should I have my local-host-names populated as well as mailertable,
or just mailertable? I'll check out all other sendmail files and see
if I can come up with anything. Most Internet forums suggest to put
each email address in the access file with a RELAY status. I hope
this is not the only way to accomplish this task. I'd have about a
thousand to enter.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Ramsey
MIS Administrator