mailscanner occasionally denying certain blackberry emails

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:49:17 IST 2007

On 20/07/07, Daniel Maher <daniel.maher at ubisoft.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have a situation where MailScanner will occasionally block attachments in
> emails generated by the Blackberry service.  Normally the attachments are
> not blocked, but every once in a while, it gets replaced with the "Warning:
> This message has had one or more attachments removed…" message.  The name of
> the attachment, in every instance, is "ETP.DAT", which shouldn't trigger
> filename rules (and, indeed, normally doesn't).
>

> Does anybody have any ideas where I could even start looking this
> intermittent, and bizarrely inconsistent, problem?
>

> Thanks!

Look closely at what it really say and you'll find that the binary
file ETP.DAT (that is also attached as an ascii armored thing ...
stupid, is what it all is... will sometimes "aggravate" your file
command, specifically MS-DOS Executable "magic" patterns of one (1)
byte. Simply remove these from your magic file (edit the text variant,
use the file command to "recompile" it), and you'll be fine.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn