MailScanner Lint logic

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 18:57:51 IST 2007

I can easily run CentOS 4 and 5, RedHat 4 and 5, and Solaris 9 and 10.
I've got a new iMac with a monster disk in it so there's plenty of room
for virtual machines :-)

Anyone know any way of expanding the size of a virtual hard disk in
Parallels on a Mac? My 40Gb VM is filling up, and I really don't want
the hassle of reinstalling all the software on it! :-(

Res wrote:
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>
> Brad, OK, you might want to try the latest MailScanner and see if it
> still exists, if it does, Julian runs CentOS so he should be able to
> help you (amongst others), mine are all Slackware and Solaris, so I
> will not be able to reproduce the problem to help sorry.

>> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
>>
>> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Brad Beckenhauer wrote:
>>
>>> Julian,
>>> If MailScanner is stopped and MailScanner --lint is run, the lint
>>> outputs the below information.
>>> Would you consider revising the lint logic to cleanup the output?
>>>
>>> # MailScanner --lint
>>> Could not read file /var/run/MailScanner.pid at
>>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 2376
>>> Error in line 181, file "/var/run/MailScanner.pid" for pidfile does
>> not
>>> exist (or can not be read) at
>> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm
>>> line 2556
>>

>> Brad, what version you running?  I don't see this on tarball
>> install...
>>
>> Running 4.60.8 on Centos 4.4, Installed via the rpm.
>> I get the message when:
>> # /etc/init.d/MailScanner stop
>> # /usr/sbin/MailScanner --lint
>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 46171 Jun  1 04:51 /usr/sbin/MailScanner
>>

>> root at valhalla:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail mailscanner-stop
>> Stopping MailScanner... Done.
>> root at valhalla:~# /opt/MailScanner/bin/MailScanner --lint
>> Read 797 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
>> Checking version numbers...
>> Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.61.7) is correct.
>>
>> Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
>> SpamAssassin temporary working directory is
>> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
>> SpamAssassin temp dir =
>> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
>> Using SpamAssassin results cache
>> Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
>> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
>> Using locktype = posix
>> Creating hardcoded struct_flock subroutine for linux (Linux-type)
>> MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = f-prot"
>> Found these virus scanners installed: f-prot

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM