ClamScan Denial of Service attack

Neil Wilson neilw at dcdata.co.za
Wed Jul 18 09:01:06 IST 2007

Hi guys,

I've just had quite a serious problem with one of my clients which seemed to have been
caused by Clamscan which rejected nearly all emails as "MailScanner[30767]: Virus Scanning:
Denial Of Service attack detected!"

It looks like it did this because we're using "clamav" as our virus scanner, and clamscan
was killing the system rescources.

The server is running "ClamAV 0.90.3/3691/Wed Jul 18 08:04:43 2007" which came with the
Clam-SA-easy installation package.

I know the latest MailScanner has full support for clamd, and it appears to work fine, but
we have a lot of servers running with the same config, so to upgrade all of them to the
latest MS+Clam will take forever.

Does the latest stable release of clam correct the problem with using clamav as our virus
scanner with MS, can we just upgrade Clam on all our servers or do we have to upgrade all of
these servers to the latest MS+Clam etc?

Thanks,

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Neil