Language File

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Wed Jul 11 21:03:45 IST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Hendrik den Hartog wrote:

> Yes, we ran the upgrade command as per the instructions, we also quickly
> set up Mailscanner on a spare machine, then copied the language.conf.rpmnew
> across, but the log still shows some strings missing?

RPM will attempt to keep existing configuration files (if a package tags a
file as config file!) by adding the new as <your config file>.rpmnew

So it serves no point to move them around.

As a rule of thumb I try to backup config files before I start to edit
them by moving them out of the way and copy the file back.

So for example the shipped mailscanner.conf:

 	mv mailscanner.conf mailscanner.conf.SHIPPED
 	cp mailscanner.conf.SHIPPED mailscanner.conf

I can then edit mailscanner.conf as much as I like.

If I run a diff on them I can tell exactly what I changed:

 	diff -u mailscanner.conf.SHIPPED mailscanner.conf > mailscanner.conf.CHANGES

Telling what has changed from old package to new package reuires a fidd on
the rpmnew file.

 	diff mailscanner.conf.SHIPPED mailscanner.conf.rpmnew

I find it works great to know which config options were added and thenn I
can decide how to go about with fixing my config file to adjust for the
new options.

I also have the silly habbit of copying config lines before I make
changes.

So the shipped line was:
%org-name% = yoursite

I then make it:
#H#%org-name% = yoursite
%org-name% = vanderkooij.org

So even without a clean config file I can tell my changes apart from the
default ones.

I hope this helps you to make config changes less difficult.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)