Phishing fraud bug?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 18:40:39 IST 2007

I remove all whitespace in the link text fairly early on in the process.
I do this as it could be quite possible to make a link look like
something else by putting it at the end of a long line and inserting a
line-break in the middle of it, appearing just like word-wrapping.

So it sees
http://www.test.devorstand:
which is valid except there isn't a number after the ":". I might be
able to do something about this, but certainly no promises. It's
difficult to put the whitespace back in after you've taken it out :-(

Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think there is a strange bug in the phishing detection. Look at this
> E-Mail Body snipplet (taken from Exim queue file):
>
> 1I7otX-000FTi-7d-D
>
> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C7C205.D495F46E
>
> Hallo Herr Koopmann,
>

> --
> Test AG
> http://www.test.de
>
> Vorstand: Alexander Test
> Aufsichtsratvorsitzender: Claudius Test
>

> This is what I get after MailScanner has finished:
>
> MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
> "www.test.devorstand" claiming to be http://www.test.de
>

> Somehow MailScanner does not see that the URL is "http://www.test.de"
> only. I can provide the complete Exim-Queue files for download in case
> you need them Jules.
>

> Kind regards,
>   JP

Jules