SpamAssassin Timeouts

Nick Brown nick at inticon.net
Mon Jul 9 13:20:42 IST 2007

Evening All,

Apologies in advance if this has been previously covered however the search
function for this list seems to be down currently.

We have been running a Postifx + MailScanner (SpamAssassin / CLAMAV) server
for a couple months with no issues to report. Works extremely well and the
customers are only saying good things.

Over the last couple of days we have been configuring a second server which
today we went live with and configured a secondary MX records for all
customers domains.

Everything looks fine, configuration was pretty much identical to the first
server.

Since the volume of mail has increased however on the new server we are
seeing every second or third email giving us the following in the headers

SpamAssassin (Disabled due to 20 consecutive timeouts)

A quick search through MailScanner.conf reveals the following are set with a
value of 20;

File Timeout = 20
Ignore Spam Whitelist if Rec. Exceed = 20

Custom Spam Scanner Timeout=20
MCP Max SpamAssassin Timeouts = 20

Note that both the customer scanner and MCP checks are disabled so I don't
believe these should come into play.

Nor do I believe the first two should be having an impact on standard emails
that are clearly spam, and have no attachments.

Any suggestions you have are much appreciated :-)

Cheers
Nick Brown.

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.