clamd configuration?

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Fri Jul 6 15:16:32 IST 2007

[...]
 > Jul  6 14:36:28 gateway MailScanner[19018]: ERROR::UNKOWN
 > CLAMD RETURN ./lstat() failed. ERROR ::
[...]

This is (almost) certainly a permissions problem. It could, of course, be
the working dir/files are gone but that is pretty close to impossible since
the mail processing continues.

What user/group is clamd running as?
What are the
What User/Group owns the incomming work dir? (MS Config incoming Work User =
incoming Work Group =)

My guess is they are different. Solutions:

	1. Run clamd as root
	2. set the Incomming Work Group to the clamd user group and set
Incoming Work Permissions = 0640 (or 0660)
	3. Add clamd user to the MailScanner user group and set
AllowSupplementaryGroups to yes (must be started by root)

I would opt for options 1 or 2 (Don't forget the Incoming Work Permissions =
0640 part!)

I haven't been able to find what exactly "triggers lstat() failed" verses
"permission denied." In ClamAV but both are generally permissions related,
although the lstat problem can happen if a temporary file is removed before
clamd gets to it... This should/could never happen with MailScanner.

Rick

believed to be clean.