Whitelist issue

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Thu Jul 5 06:47:58 IST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 12:08 +1000, Vivek Mittal wrote:
> Sorry, if some people receive this twice.  I sent this yesterday and
> have not seen it show up in the list yet.

> Hi,
>
> We have been using MailScanner for about 6 months now and it is
> working really well.  We have seen that 70% of our incoming mail is
> spam and of that, 80% is classed as High Spam, so it is helping us
> filtering a large part of our mail.
>
> In the last six months, we have noticed that even the mail classed as
> Low Spam is 99.99% spam.  The 0.01% that is not spam is due to
> documents scanned and emailed from our printer.  We have tried to
> whitelist the address, but it does not work.  I hope someone can help
> in determining the cause.
>
> My spam.whitelist.rules file contains the following entries
>
> From:           *@*.abc.com     yes
> From:           *@*.xyz.com.au   yes
>
> where xyz.com.au is our firm.  Now, emails from abc.com are
> whitelisted, but emails from our printer (printer at xyz.com.au) are not.
>  Below is a sample header as stored in the Mailscanner archives (with
> some stuff modified)

As a gerenral practice you should not whitelist your own domain. Unless
you have ways of preventing people forging your domain at the MTA ( like
SPF )

Do you have in MailScanner.conf
---
Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules
---
Is whitelisting intermittently failing or failing every time?

Thanks
Ram