Solaris upgrade problems

Eugene MacDougal stinkybob at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:45:45 IST 2007

Here are some of the "problems" I experience whenever I upgrade
MailScanner.  And for background, my system is a Sun V40Z (dual opteron, 8gb
ram, solaris 10) running MS 4.61.7, SA 3.2.1, Clam 0.93.  I installed all of
these using the tar based installers from Julian's site.

1.  Neither the "udp" nor the "unix" options for Sys::Syslog's setlogsock
command work on my system.  Every time a new release comes out, I have to
grep for setlogsock in every file and change it from unix or udp to
"native".  Is this something that we could move to the
MailScanner.conffile?  Make an option for syslog type and then have
the various programs
that use that option poll MailScanner.conf for the appropriate variable?
This would make my life so much easier.

2.  The whole "/opt/MailScanner" symlink thing seems a bit
counter-intuitive.  I appreciate the ease that it brings for rolling back to
an older version in case the new one fails, but I need to manually check all
of the config files (filename rules, filetype rules, etc) and see if there
are any problems with dropping my existing ones back into place.  It seems
like the upgrade_MailScanner_conf and upgrade_languages_conf scripts could
be updated to check every config file in the release instead of just their
respective targets.

3.  The "update_virus_scanners" script needs an update for the SunOS grep
test.  Not all systems come with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep installed.  A full build
will, but not a network minimal.  Solaris does come with a compatible grep
that will use the -e option "/usr/bin/egrep".  If that setting could be
upgraded to use egrep that would be great.

Thanks,
Eugene