Clam/SA package: possible inconsistency?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 15:13:44 IST 2007

Jules,

Historically, I have maintained the Clam+SA aspects of our MailScanner
installations (mostly Fedora-based OSes) using RPM for ClamAV and CPAN
for SA.

I would like to switch to using your package.  This, in theory, ought to
give better support, better consistency, and easier installation.  But
I've stumbled across an apparent inconsistency in the ClamAV section.

Your software (MS, SA) generally installs directly into system locations.
Examples:
   /usr/sbin/MailScanner  (binary)
   /etc/MailScanner/   (directory)
   /usr/bin/sa-learn (binary)

In that sense, they are RPM-like.  (That's fine with me!)

But (uniquely, I think), your build of clamav wants to install into
"/usr/local".  This seems inconsistent with your builds of MS and SA.

Is this difference a deliberate decision?

Could you consider making your version of clamav install into the natural
system locations (just like your other software), rather than this unique
"/usr/local" location?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :