Doubts about PF, what are the pros/cons about other MTAs?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun Jul 1 04:55:39 IST 2007

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Mikael Syska wrote:

> Can't wait to get my hands dirty converting the old amavisd-new setup ...
> some other dude had setup it up, and its a real pain to figure out ...

I find amavisd rather counter intuitive. Even with a reasonable knowledge
of perl at hand.

> Btw, read on a page on the internet where a person said that MS did not use
> the resources very good cause its spawning a new process for every mail and
> afterwards closing it. amavisd-new also did that in the start but changed
> over to daemon style ... so its not spawning a new proces every time ...
> Is there something about this, or did the guy just not like MS ?
> and if there are something about it ... will MS be changed to spawn daemons ?
> what are the pros/cons agints it

Amavis has even more issues with the spawning of tasks as each message is
handled seperatly and for each it will fire up the scanner manually.

Just for fun fire 5 messages with a 10 MB ZIP file and each ZIP file
containing like 10k files each on a Barracuda. Then do the same on a
MailScanner system. (Barracuda uses amavid among other things.)

See which one lives happily ever after.

Hugo.

 		(Thanks JFK, for the insight.)