OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Jan 31 22:40:29 CET 2007

On Wednesday January 31, 2007 at 03:53:47 (PM) Res wrote:

> Thats very obvious by the posts in here. Sendmail is easiest, followed by
> Exim and then Postfix (which is the most problematic because of its author)

I would be interested in why you make that statement regarding Postfix. I
had used Sendmail for several years and found it confusing. Getting SASL,
etc working on it can be a real chore.

The only problem I have ever had in Postfix is with Mailscanner,
although the newer versions of Mailscanner don't seem to exhibiting that
trait. I will agree through that milters work far better on Sendmail
than Postfix. The problem is that they were written with Sendmail in
mind. Even the clamav milter does not work correctly. I spoke to its
author and he indicated that perhaps someday, although ot in the
foreseeable future he might modify it  to work with Postfix.

--
Gerard