OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jan 31 21:26:15 CET 2007

Julian Field spake the following on 1/31/2007 12:07 PM:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Dhawal Doshy spake the following on 1/31/2007 8:43 AM:

>>> One (actually 2) patch to rule them all.. and bring qmail to the current
>>> century. So does your current MTA support SPF/DomainKeys without a
>>> milter/policy_daemon? This one does..
>>> http://qmail.jms1.net/patches/combined.shtml
>>>
>>> The original qmail may no longer be maintained, but it is still rock
>>> solid and quite efficient.. and a few patches do bring it to the level
>>> of a sendmail/postfix/exim.. plus as Res adds "show a product that
>>> compares to qmail virtual domains".
>>>
>>> 2 coins..
>>> - dhawal
>>>
>> But does Julian support qmail in mailscanner?
>
> No, but someone called opencomputing does/did.
>> More patches?
>
> What's qmail without its patches? :-)
> You don't so much configure it as patch it until it does what you want :-)
>> I didn't badmouth qmail, as I haven't used it. I have considered postfix, and
>> might try it in my next server build. Used exim only on a Debian print server
>> I built back in the stone age. Since I don't have time to do much consulting
>> anymore with linux (my spare time is spent fixing windows machines for extra
>> $$$), so I really can't spend a lot of time with new things.
>> I'm only using sendmail because, like was said before, it is the devil I know.
>
>> I hate to waste all that time I banged my head against the wall!
>

> Jules

Opencomputing did re-write for qmail, but they don't seem to be very current.
I looked at that option when I first started looking at Mailscanner.
Anything is better than amavis (the old, original version).
If I could only have the time to play with everything.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and