MailScanner -changed

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 13:22:54 CET 2007

Erik van der Leun wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I hope this question isn't too mindless of me...
> Within the first minute I couldn't find a more plausable explanation
> than a glitch in the *MailScanner -changed* output...
>
> the one that popped up in my mind as I read the output of
> MailScanner -changed and noticed that the default MailScanner version
> claimed to be 1.0.0
>
> clavius ~ # MailScanner -changed | grep version
> mailscannerversionnumber           1.0.0          4.56.8
> clavius ~ #
>
> Is there any logic in this at all? or just something that's never fixed?
It's not a bug, it's just that this is all based out of the
ConfigDefs.pl file, which has the internal default values for
everything. If you don't specify a "MailScanner Version Number =" value
in MailScanner.conf, this is the value it will use. I didn't see any
point in writing yet more code to handle it as a special case. And I
didn't see any point in making the build scripts yet more complicated so
they can set this value to the current version number. It's just there
to make sure you don't use a MailScanner.conf for 4.58 on 4.57 for example.

> It's hardly of any importance, but I found this still worth it to bug
> you people with >:-)
> (my apologies for this, but I find the project serious enough to
> discuss all details :> )
>
> Kind regards,
> Erik van der Leun

Jules