New beta 4.58.8

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 19:32:51 CET 2007

I have added a configuration setting to control delivery of sender
notifications in response to attachments outside your configured range.
By default this is set to no, but also by default the size limits are
disabled.
If you set the minimum attachment size to 1 then no-one will receive
notifications about broken viruses sending out 0-length copies of
themselves. This helps to minimise the amount of backscatter mail out there.

This also includes the fixes to the Postfix code for kicking the MTA to
trigger the delivery of new messages, when multiple copies of Postfix
are running supporting multiple outgoing queues from MailScanner.

Please do some final testing for me, as the stable release is due for
Thursday.

The Change Log is now this:

* New Features and Improvements *
1 Added accessor functions to Config.pm to enable implementation of ruleset
  evaluation within a Custom Function.
4 New example Custom Function to show how to evaluate a ruleset from within
  a Custom Function.
5 Checks the SA cache more intelligently now, to use the required score from
  the right message always. Thanks to Olaf.Ohlenmacher at colt.net for this.
5 Supporting code for BarricadeMX. If you haven't got this superb package
  yet, contact Fort Systems (www.fsl.com) for an evaluation licence
RIGHT NOW!
  It's superb, and even runs on Windows with Exchange, in addition to all
  the other platforms normally supported. Say goodnight to all your spam
  problems. It will reduce the load on your mail servers so much that you
  won't be needing any upgrades for a few years, which will save you a
  whole load of money!
5 "MailScanner --lint" now checks the version number of the MailScanner.conf
  file to ensure you are not behind with your settings and need to run
  upgrade_MailScanner_conf.
6 Improvement to check_MailScanner script so it prints Done or Failed as
  appropriate.
7 Mail sent out to split mail queues will only be picked up when the MTA
  next scans the queue. This problem will be rectified in the next release.
  I didn't want to change the code so close to the release date, I will fix
  it very soon. This does not affect the vast proportion of users.
7 Okay, I've changed my mind. The new code is in for testing.
8 Mail sent out to multiple mail queues will all cause the MTA to be
  "kicked" into knowing there are new messages in the outgoing queue
  waiting to be delivered.
8 Added new configuration option
  "Notify Senders Of Blocked Size Attachments = no".
  This is to stop notifying senders of 0-length files which are generated
  by some broken viruses and worms. It does also control sender
notifications
  for other sizes of attachments that are outside your pre-set limits set
  in other configuration options.

* Fixes *
1 Small addition to Config.pm for one customer.
2 Don't use 4.58.1, bug introduced in Config.pm.
4 Bug fixed where {Fraud?} Subject: tag would not appear when appropriate.
5 Fixed bug in Exim delivery code that would leave stray defunct processes
  lying around in some situations.
5 Now kicks Sendmail/whatever about all messages in all outgoing queues.
5 MCP doesn't pick up sa-update rules any more. Thanks to Jason Desai.
5 AVG7 support improved.
6 Bug fixed where 1 disarmed message followed by another 1 non-disarmed
  message would cause the 2nd message to be tagged disarmed in the Subject:
  line, but only if the message batch would be processed in exactly 1
  particular order.
6 Fixed bug with extra "Disarmed" tags where there shouldn't be.
8 Postfix support for split queue kicking fixed. Sendmail support
working well.
8 Fixed potential DoS attack bug with very long headers in ZMailer support.
  Patch from Leonardo Helman.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP