more on zero byte exe files

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 15:59:52 CET 2007

On 30/01/07, Jeff A. Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Since the file is zero bytes, named exe, and does not trigger
> a sophos/clam virus event, I am having a lot of the following
> messages outgoing:
>
>     From: MailScanner <postmaster at colby.edu>
>     To: upwcc at wwsolutions.demon.co.uk
>     Subject: Warning: E-mail viruses detected
>
>     Our e-mail content detector has just been triggered by a message you sent:
>       To: llivshi at colby.edu
>       Subject: Wine and Roses
>       Date: Tue Jan 30 09:18:57 2007
>
>     One or more of the attachments (Greeting Card.exe) are on
>     the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have
>     been delivered.
>
>     Consider renaming the files to avoid this constraint.
>
>     The virus detector said this about the message:
>     Report: Report: MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous
>     in email (Greeting Card.exe)
>
> which will make me (and MailScanner) *real* popular in the real world.
> I don't want to remove the exe check in filename.rules.conf, which is
> the only quick way I can think of to shut up MailScanner.  Help....
>
> Jeff Earickson
> Colby College
Set
# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing other blocked content, such as
# partial messages or messages with external bodies?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content = no
temporarily.

-- Glenn