OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 01:26:09 CET 2007

On 30/01/07, Matt Hampton <matt at coders.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Yuzik wrote:
> > Peter Russell wrote:
> >> Dont forget to mention that postfix cannot and probably never will be
> >> able to split emails that are addressed to multiple recipients into
> >> multiple queue files, so you the one email can be subject to various
> >> rules, depending on who it was addressed to.
> > Hmmm. That's interesting. And this is something that Sendmail does now?
> > Or does Sendmail need to be hacked to support this?
> >
> > I don't think we're really doing any of this now, and am not sure how
> > important this feature would be. Anyone else doing this?
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Sendmail supports it now and we use it extensively - postfix also
> supports it (Glenn is about to kill me ;-)) but it is more of a bodge.

No, I'm not feeling murderous tonight... The "bogdiness" is due to the
fact that the one-liner change to make it split mails take effect
_after_ MS is done, so ... one has to be just a little creative to
make it happen before. Once setup, one can more or less treat the
system as any other PF/MS setup.

> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#multiple_recipient_message_-_how_to_apply_different_rules
>
> This feature is important as you may wish apply different rules to
> different people.  If you don't split the envelope then the rules are
> applied to the first email address in the envelope.

True.
--
-- Glenn