Not blocking executables

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 17:05:20 CET 2007

On 29/01/07, rob <rob at robhq.com> wrote:
(snip)
>From /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
>

> File Command = /usr/bin/file
> Allow Filenames =
> Deny Filenames =
> Filename Rules = %etc-dir%/filename.rules.conf
> Allow Filetypes =
> Deny Filetypes =
> Filetype Rules = %etc-dir%/filetype.rules.conf

Ok good. Then what does
grep -i exe /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf
/etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.conf
give? Be as verbose as possible, redirect into a file and attach
that... Both files are a bit hysterical about whitespace... They
absolutely need have <TAB> as field separator... and I'd like to see
if these lines have that (or you could just check it:-). Then again,
MailScanner --lint is supposed to catch those:-).
But that is the secondary thing... the primary thing to check for here
is any "allow" lines that shouldn't be there.

Perhaps time to start looking at the messages themselves too, how do
you send them? MIME type etc?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn