Not blocking executables

rob rob at robhq.com
Mon Jan 29 15:56:00 CET 2007

My MailScanner is allowing .exe files to be sent to users.

I have this in my filetype.rules.conf

allow   text            -                       -
allow   \bscript        -                       -
allow   archive         -                       -
allow   postscript      -                       -
deny    self-extract    No self-extracting archives     No self-extracting archives allowed
deny    executable      No executables          No programs allowed
deny    ELF             No executables          No programs allowed
deny    Registry        No Windows Registry entries     No Windows Registry files allowed

I tried adding

deny    .exe$           No exe files            No exe files

But a test .exe still came in.  I have a feeling I am doing something stupid.  Maybe the
lack of caffeine this monday morning.