SOT: AntiVirus Software

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Jan 26 00:58:54 CET 2007

Matt Kettler spake the following on 1/25/2007 3:11 PM:
> Glenn Steen wrote:

>>> Looking at my logs, it doesn't seem to be hitting anything here lately.
>>> Especially the new Trojan.Downloader-??? that clam has been getting
>>> since last
>>> weekend. Even a scan of the quarantined file shows nothing. Even
>>> McAfee is
>>> getting these!
>>>
>>> I guess it is time to hit the flusher on Bitdefender.
>>>
>> Still seems to be on par with mcafee here.... which isn't saying that
>> much:-):-)
>>
>> Cheers
>

> It seems in recent months both sides of the clamav and bitdefender hits have
> diverged considerably.
>
> Let's look at some numbers from my system. Note I've excluded "HTML-Phishing"
> matches by clamav from this, as that's not something BitDefender (aka bdc) looks
> for.
>

> Dec 1, 2006-today:
> messages with viruses found by clam but not bdc: 142
> messages with viruses found by bdc but clam: 148
>
> Looks like both bdc and clam are catching about the same number of messages that
> the other missed..
>

> July 1, 2006 - Dec 1, 2006
> clam not bdc: 39
> bdc not clam: 30
>
> Note that in the previous 5 months, these numbers were MUCH smaller. This tells
> me that in the past clam and bdc both matched most of the same messages.
> However, recently, that's changed and a lot more viruses are coming out that are
> only caught by one of the two.
>
> This might be due to an increase in how fast viruses mutate, I'm not sure.
> However, clearly BitDefender is still doing a lot of good here, catching several
> things clam is missing.

My volume is still low enough to leave it running. I think I am dumping most
of the viruses with blacklists, as my hit rate is very low. And MailScanner is
catching them by filetype rules even when the virus scanners miss.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and