Archiving mail

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 16:15:15 CET 2007

On 25/01/07, Drew Burchett <DrewB at united-systems.com> wrote:

> When MailScanner is set to archive messages, it stores them in binary format
> (at least on my machine).  Is there any way to convert this to text format
> for testing, forwarding, whatever the heck else I might need to do with it?

This is very likely a copy of your MTAs queue file(s) as seen _before_
MailScanner has touched it/them.
So you would need use the tools available to manipulate it/them as
provided by your MTA.
With Sendmail, those files are pretty much plain text, so I'm guessing
you are using something else... Perhaps Postfix?
If so, you can look at it with the postcat command (postcat
/path/to/file), and could possibly extract the message as such with
some scripting.
Or you could use the third alternative to the Archive Mail setting
(archive to preexisting mbox files... just touch a filename and
specify that:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn