SA, MS, RBL problem

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Jan 24 18:09:13 CET 2007

Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:
> GENTS!
>
> I have setup rbldnsd daemon, and am rsyncing down from NJABL...
>
> I have made the local DNS cachers forward queries to rbldnsd. That can
> be tested via dig @dnscacheserver 2.0.0.127.dnsbl.njabl.org... i see
> that query get forwarded to rbldnsd, and i see the query in the log so i
> know 100 percent that rsync is working, dns forwarding is working
> correctly from bind to rbldnsd host
>
> so thats out of the question....   MS machine is checking for DNS only
> against that dns cache server... so any queries for njabl should in
> theory forward to my rbldnsd box

Check your /etc/resolv.conf. Are there *any* DNS servers in there other than the
cacheserver that forwards to rbldnsd?

SpamAssassin has a strong tendency to use the "first working" DNS server it
finds for all of its queries. So if there are multiple entries in resolv.conf,
SA could be using a server other than your cacheserver, unless ALL of the listed
servers perform forwarding.